What is oil pulling?
Oil pulling is the swishing of sesame, sunflower, or coconut oil in the mouth for 15-20 minutes, then spitting it out and rinsing the mouth with water. That’s all. Easy peasy! Oil pulling ‘pulls’ the bacteria and germs from your mouth and helps clean your gum line. It is an almost effortless and cheap way to detoxify your body. It is an alternative medicine that is relatively new to the United States but has been used throughout Europe, China, and India for many years.
Reasons to oil pull
According to Dr. F. Karach, MD, oil pulling has been known to be a healing therapy and treat many diseases such as: bronchitis, eczema, tooth pain, headaches and diseases of the heart, liver, kidney, lungs, intestines, and women’s diseases. He also claims, it prevents the growth of malignant tumors. Plus, over time, oil pulling whitens your teeth!
Oil pulling, step by step
- Oil pull first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, before you eat anything or brush your teeth. I recommend doing it only one time per day. If you are unable to oil pull in the morning, do it on a completely empty stomach (about 4 hours after a meal).
- Use 1 Tbsp oil. I use melted coconut oil because it is a natural anti -fungal, anti-microbial, anti-viral, and anti- bacterial. Plus, it leaves my mouth smelling great!
- Put oil in your mouth and swish around, ensuring that oil comes in contact with your entire oral cavity. Do not be too aggressive with the pulling or your mouth and jaw will become sore quickly! Oil pull for 15-20 minutes. Be sure NOT to swallow this oil as it is now full of the bacteria and germs that you want to get rid of. There is no right or wrong way to swish oil in your mouth. The oil is a fat, like that which we use in soap, and it attracts germs and bacteria. When the oil in your mouth has become saturated with germs and toxins, it will become more thin and milky. The oil may get to this point quicker depending on how much bacteria is in your mouth that day. If you feel the urge to spit the oil out early, that’s fine! Just restart.
- Spit oil out in a waste basket or some place other than a sink (to prevent clogging!).
- Rinse your mouth out at least twice with warm water. Regular water is fine. Use salt water if you have any inflammation in your mouth.
- Brush your teeth.
- Feel free to eat right after brushing your teeth!
* If you have many toxins, you may experience pimples or headaches. These will disappear!